Thursday, January 24, 2008

Batik Art from IndoLand

"If there is one single art form that captures the essence and spirit of Indonesia, it's BATIK..." (Batik Popiler II)

I fell in love with Batik since I was young. I had the privilege to live in Indonesia for quite some time, enough time to make me feel that I've become one of them. Indonesia is very rich in culture, and because of its diversity, I was able to experience the different ways of life of the many cultures all over the islands. Over the years, I've taught myself how to make clothes and anything else you could think of, with using this traditional craft. Here are some of my designs, which are also featured in my collection site: Dewi Magenta

Batik, it is everywhere in Indonesia, as much as in Malaysia, Singapore, India, Thailand, Philippines, and many more across the globe. It is an artform that is very much respected by many artists and enthusiasts all over the world. I've been to many Batik processing factories, big and small, museums, artshops, all over Indonesia.

One thing that amazed me, is the combined passion of the people who makes them. It does not take one day to make a Batik cloth. It takes months and months!!! This is what many do not know so they just think Batik is just like that. Yes, there are machines being used now to make Batik textiles, but that's not what I'm making people see here...I want to show you that this artform takes only a very skilled worker to create a wonder..

So, I'd like to share with you guys what Batik is all about, and I hope you'll be able to appreciate it the way I do...


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog and being someone who loves fabric I love this post on batik. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete