Friday, January 25, 2008

Mentor and Student

"Tell the child,
"Look, I love you, I believe in you.
I know you are going through a lot of upset
and you need to tell me to go to hell
with every other breath these days,
which I'm quite willing to accept;
the only thing that counts
is that in the long run,
you find out who you are and you live it."

This is hard for parents to say genuinely.


-Rollo May

It is indeed hard for parents to say this to their children. I have my own experiences to relate to this quote. The road that I have taken made it extremely difficult for my parents to understand what I was going through while growing up. I am a child of many dreams, wishes and philosophies. I believe in what I believe. I have taken a step beyond what is common in our society and I am not standing back just like that. I have made mistakes and caused many heartaches for different people I have met along the way. No regrets, but I do ponder on thoughts that people have made and will make about me and my life. So what!?! It is my life after all, and I know I am the only one living it.

You can say that I am a very difficult child, because I do not follow the rules. I break them, because of what I believe. There are times when I know I am right and I fight for it. I am not scared to show people who I am. What I am outside is what I have inside. Some people cannot even follow me in my world, because I have restricted them to be part of my life. There are people who have taken a chance to understand me, but they do not think of my thoughts. Only what they see outside of me, is what matters to them. What matters to me, is the inside.


I have met countless of people from different walks of life, from different parts of the world, from different occasions and time. Many have stayed with me, many have left. All of them have been in my collection of people that mattered. You are free to choose who you want to be with. Well, at least for me, that is. We are all good and bad, nobody is perfect, after all. If anyone thinks they are perfect, make me believe!!!

Many people have come into my world, thinking that they can change me to become like them. These people did not know I have already thought about their purposes of why they were with me. Although, there are several people I had given the privilege to be part of my life. These people are what I call, mentors, for I am a student yearning to learn more until my head can not take any more space for all things in life.

Children experience different things than that of the adults and likewise. There are plenty of things that children do not understand and likewise again. There are plenty of things that adults do not understand that children have lavished themselves with much learning. Chaos!

A child has the right to explore what he wishes. A parent has the right to nurture the child who wishes to explore and guide them in their exploration. This does not only tighten the bond between parent and child, but it creates a new bond, mentor and student. It is not only in school that a child is a student, it is at home where the child expands his learning, becomes a student as well. He does not leave his student awareness in school, but he yearns to remain a student even at home. This is what most people do not take in consideration. I have taught myself a lot more at home than in school, because it is at home where I completely immerse myself into deep thinking. But sadly, most of the things I know are self-taught. My parents had given me independence at such an early age. I had wished I had learn more from my parents when I was younger, that they were not too busy with work. Yes, my parents did send me to fantastic and expensive schools, but that did not matter when I was still a child. What mattered to me then, was being with them while I experience the wonders of life as I grew up. Sigh...


To conclude...
"We can help a person to be himself by our own willingness to steep ourselves temporarily in his world, in his private feelings and experiences. By our affirmation of the person as he is, we give him support and strength to take the next step in his own growth."

-Clark Moustakas

----------------
Now playing on iTunes: Peter, Bjorn & John Feat. Victoria Bergsman - Young Folks
via FoxyTunes



No comments:

Post a Comment